[whatwg] Web DOM Core feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Fri Jan 14 02:53:34 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:41 PM, James Graham <jgraham at opera.com> wrote:

> On 01/13/2011 10:05 PM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>
>  There are a bunch of places where it says "When invoked with the same
>> argument the same NodeList object may be returned as returned by an
>> earlier call."  Shouldn't this be either required or prohibited in any
>> given case, not left undefined?
>>

> It seems like making this a requirement would interact badly with GC e.g.
> if I have some call that produces a huge NodeList that is then not
> referenced, I don't want to keep it around just in case some future script
> returns the same NodeList. On the other hand, there are scripts that put
> calls returning identical NodeLists in inner loops. In these cases not
> recreating the object every time is a big performance win.

The usual trick here is to weakly reference the cached NodeList. So if the
script holds onto a reference, then future calls will return that NodeList,
but if the script does not hold onto a reference, it can be GCed and future
calls will return a different NodeList. Then the spec can say that the same
NodeList will be returned, and that implementation satisfies the spec since
a script can't tell that the NodeList has changed without holding onto a
reference to the old NodeList.

... except I guess it can, because it could set expando properties on the
old NodeList and check for their presence later. Sigh.

Rob