[whatwg] Control over selection direction

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Fri Jan 14 13:06:09 PST 2011

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:42 AM, Marijn Haverbeke <marijnh at gmail.com>wrote:

> That would work for me, however, it'd be backwards-incompatible -- not
> in a critical way, but probably enough to break a few pieces of code.
> Also, I assume there is a reason that textarea/textinput content is
> not 'officially' part of the DOM, and that separate
> selection-management functionality has been implemented for it. This
> might be a *much* bigger can of worms than the simple change I
> proposed.

If you accept that other selection APIs can't be used in textarea / input,
then why would you expect your property/method to specify direction can be?
 Specifically that this direction property/method works for textarea / input
and other properties/method doesn't is very inconsistent, and very unlikely
to be adopted by browser vendors.  (I for one will not support such an
interface if proposed in the WebKit community).

- Ryosuke