[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

Zachary Ozer zach at longtailvideo.com
Mon Jan 17 11:05:10 PST 2011

What no one has mentioned so far is that the real issue isn't the
network utilization or the memory capacity of the devices, it's
bandwidth cost.

The big issue for publishers is that they're incurring higher costs
when using the <video> tag, which is a disincentive for adoption.

Since there are situations where both the publisher and the user are
potentially incurring bandwidth costs (or have other limitations), we
could allow the publisher to specify downloadBufferTarget and the user
to specify a setting in the browser's config. The browser would then
actually buffer min(user setting, downloadBufferTarget). At that point
there would probably need to be another read-only property that
specified what value the browser is currently using as it's buffer
length, but maybe the getter for downloadBufferTarget is sufficient.

Best,

Zach
--
Zachary Ozer
Developer, LongTail Video

w: longtailvideo.com • e: zach at longtailvideo.com • p: 212.244.0140 •
f: 212.656.1335
JW Player  |  Bits on the Run  |  AdSolution