[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jan 17 13:25:03 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> If nothing else, I'm thinking things like "I would like to buffer up this
> 3-hour-long-video so I can watch it on the plane, where my network bandwidth
> will be precisely 0".  Definitely as use case I've had.

That's an important use case, but it feels like a very different one.  If
you want to download hours of video for playing offline, you don't want to
store that in a transient read-ahead buffer--you want to store it
persistently on the disk, so it's not lost if a tab is closed, cache is
cleared, etc.  It sounds more like a FileAPI use case than a buffering
parameters one.

--
Glenn Maynard