[whatwg] Fwd: RE: Inconsistent behaviour of globalCompositeOperation property - Drawing model discussion

carol.szabo at nokia.com carol.szabo at nokia.com
Mon Jan 17 14:12:27 PST 2011

Since Jan 5 I have refined my proposal. It now looks like this:

I propose changing the drawing model steps 2 to 5 the following way:

Step 2: Multiply the alpha channel of every pixel in A by globalAlpha. (Prior Step 5)
Step 3: When shadows are drawn<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#when-shadows-are-drawn>, render the shadow from image A, using the current shadow styles, creating image B.
Step 4: When shadows are drawn<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-canvas-element.html#when-shadows-are-drawn>, composite image B onto image A using destination-over compositing operation.

This algorithm is less expensive then the prior one (it saves one multiplication of the AlphaChannel over the entire B bitmap), and treats the image/object drawn and its shadow as one entity. Which results in the shadow being preserved for composite operations such as copy and source-in and produces less strange results in operations such as xor and destination-out when shadows are drawn.

The this algorithm yields the same result as the current  version of the spec for source-over, but for completeness supports shadows in all modes. Indeed the way the current spec exists, many non-source-over modes including xor yield very strange results if shadows are used.
I do not care that much if the spec has my proposal in it or whether it specs that shadows are not rendered in modes other then source over, but it would be nice to hear an agreement from browser implementors on this.

Carol