[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Mon Jan 17 20:15:55 PST 2011

On 18/01/2011 4:59 p.m., Roger Hågensen wrote:

> Unbuffering:
> It may sound odd but in low storage space situations, it may be
> necessary to unbuffer what has been played. Is this supported at all
> currently?

Firefox caches media data locally on disk, and will evict data which is
unlikely to be needed in future when its cache gets full. There's no way
for users to force eviction, except by manually reducing the size of the
media cache by changing a pref.

> Skipping:
> A lot of times I hit play, the movie buffers, fine. Then I skip to the
> middle maybe, but I can't since it hasn't buffered to that point yet.
> I'm forced to wait for it to buffer up to that point before I can skip
> there.

This sounds like either the server you're serving your media from isn't
configured to enable seeking in your media (usually because it's serving
content gzipped, or because it doesn't correctly support or advertise
that it supports HTTP1.1 byte range requests) or whatever browser you're
using hasn't implemented seeking using HTTP1.1 byte ranges yet.

Chris Pearce.