[whatwg] Limiting the amount of downloaded but not watched video

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Tue Jan 18 05:40:40 PST 2011

On 1/18/11 6:09 AM, Glenn Maynard wrote:
> I'm confused--how is the required buffer size a function of the length of
> the video?  Once the buffer is large enough to smooth out network
> fluctuations, either you have the bandwidth to stream the video or you
> don't; the length of the video doesn't enter into it.

The point is that many users _don't_ have enough bandwidth to stream the
video.  At that point, the size of the buffer that puts you in
HAVE_ENOUGH_DATA depends on the length of the video.

-Boris