[whatwg] File API Streaming Blobs

Adam Malcontenti-Wilson adman.com at gmail.com
Fri Jan 21 12:35:53 PST 2011

XHR2 is one part of the APIs required for my use case as that is the
easiest way to download for example a music file. However, while
downloading, there's no way to pipe the download(ing) blob to the
HTML5 Audio element as to play Audio it requires an object URL, and an
object URL can (currently) only point to a static Blob, as well as the
fact that a Blob cannot be appended. This would be important for
listening streaming audio that needs to be processed in JavaScript or
cached to persistant storage using the Filesystem APIs without having
to wait for the entire file to be downloaded into an ArrayBuffer or
Blob.

I'm not really sure about the <device> tag fitting in with this as it
seems to be more about reading serial ports and cameras from what I've
seen, however any streaming interface that could be specified could be
also used in the device API to stream binary content to devices.

My suggestion was for another alternative version of Blob and/or
createObjectUrl that mimicks how a HTTP request can be parsed and (in
the case of audio or video) start playing before it has finished
downloading (e.g. got to the content-length or had a connection close)
by pushing content when it is appended to the blob and then the
"virtual connection" can be closed when the Blob has finished being
built by calling a close() function. I've also thought of other
alternatives, but I'd make sure that there isn't already a way to do
this with the current (specified) APIs, and I think this has the most
other use cases as any data that takes a while to process can be
streamed to the user or other parts of the browser.

Thanks,
--
Adam Malcontenti-Wilson

--