[whatwg] Appcache feedback (various threads)

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jan 31 16:05:46 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:46 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> > That's far too generic for servers to default to mapping *.manifest to
> > text/cache-manifest.  For example, Windows uses *.manifest for SxS
> > assembly manifests.
>
> Do they have a MIME type? If not, it doesn't much matter.

It does if they're ever served by a webserver, because they'll be served
with a completely unrelated Content-Type.  (Also, the file format is
actually XML, so arguably they do--application/xml--though I wouldn't
configure a server that way in general.)

Microsoft's mistake is using such a generic name--but these files shouldn't
make the same mistake and lay claim to "*.manifest" as if it's the only type
of manifest that exists.  File extensions will never be without collisions,
but an effort should at least be made...

--
Glenn Maynard