[whatwg] Proposal to remove a paragraph from canvas spec

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Jul 4 20:16:27 PDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 9:40 AM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:

> On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 5:53 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 13 May 2011, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you put a note in the spec that we're thinking of changing this
>> > behavior, so developers are less likely to start depending on it, and
>> > we've got some cover in case it breaks some esoteric stuff that doesn't
>> > matter for compat?
>>
>> Done.
>>

> Thanks. I made this change on mozilla-central so it should appear in
> Firefox 7 about 18 weeks from now --- unless we detect that it breaks the
> Web.

It breaks the Web, so we're backing it out.

It turns out that a lot of canvas apps set up a shadow color and blur, do
some drawing, then disable the shadow by setting the blur to zero. With the
proposed change, those apps often render incorrectly, and worse, they often
render more slowly.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our