[whatwg] Video feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 8 12:23:20 PDT 2011

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011, Eric Winkelman wrote:
> On Thursday, June 02 Ian Hickson wrote:
> > On Fri, 18 Mar 2011, Eric Winkelman wrote:
> > >
> > > For in-band metadata tracks, there is neither a standard way to
> > > represent the type of metadata in the HTMLTrackElement interface nor
> > > is there a standard way to represent multiple different types of
> > > metadata tracks.
> >
> > There can be a standard way. The idea is that all the types of
> > metadata tracks that browsers will support should be specified so that
> > all browsers can map them the same way. I'm happy to work with anyone
> > interested in writing such a mapping spec, just let me know.
>
> I would be very interested in working on this spec.

It would be several specs, probably, each focusing on a particular set of
metadata in a particular format (e.g. advertising timings in an MPEG
wrapper, or whatever).

> What's the next step?

First, research: what formats and metadata streams are you interested in?
Who uses them? How are they implemented in producers and (more
importantly) consumers today? What are the use cases?

Second, describe the problem: make a clear statement of purpose that
scopes the effort to provide guidelines to prevent feature creep.

Third, listen to implementors: find those that are interested in
implementing this particular mapping of metadata to the DOM API, get their
input, see what they want.

Fourth, implement: make or have someone else make an experimental
implementation of a mapping that addresses the problem described in the
earlier steps.

Fifth, specify: write a specification that describes the mapping described
in step two, based on what you've researched in step one and based on the
feedback from steps three and four.

Sixth, test: update the experimental implement to fit the spec, get other
implementations to implement the spec. Have real users play with it.

Seventh, simplify: remove what you don't need.

Finally, iterate: repeat all these steps for as long as there's any
interest in this mapping, fixing problems, adding new features if they're
needed, removing old features that didn't get used or implemented, etc.