[whatwg] Proposal for a MediaSource API that allows sending media data to a HTMLMediaElement

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Tue Jul 12 17:05:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 12:00 PM, Aaron Colwell <acolwell at google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 12, 2011 at 4:44 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert at ocallahan.org>wrote:
>
>> I had imagined that this API would let the author feed in the same data as
>> you would load from some URI. But that can't be what's happening, since in
>> some element implementations (e.g., Gecko's) loaded data is buffered
>> internally and seeking might not require any new data to be loaded.
>>

>  No. The idea is to allow JavaScript to manage fetching the media data so
> various fetching strategies could be implemented without needing to change
> the browser. My initial motivation is for supporting adaptive streaming with
> this mechanism, but I think various media mashup and delivery scenarios
> could be explored with this.

I don't think you can do that with this API without making huge assumptions
about what the browser's demuxer, internal caching, etc are doing.

Rob
--
"If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in
us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our