[whatwg] The blockquote element spec vs common quoting practices

Jukka K. Korpela jkorpela at cs.tut.fi
Thu Jul 14 04:09:06 PDT 2011

14.07.2011 13:49, Karl Dubost wrote:

> using that for years (almost every day), an example
> http://www.la-grange.net/2011/06/05/fruit

>          Comment, abandonnant la rosée<br/>
>          De pareil lotus,<br/>
>          Retournerai-je<br/>
>          Dans le monde changeant et frivole ?</q>  »</p>
>          <cite class="auteur">Shonagon, Sei</cite>,

That’s quite good, though I think <footer class="source"> would be in
principle better than <p class="source">, though using <footer> still
requires some precautions in practice (I mean “teaching” it to old IE
using document.createElement('footer') in JavaScript, so that your
styling will take effect).

Microdata or microformats might be used to standardize the use of
specific attributes to be used, like class="credits", class="author",
class="title" etc., if desired. But I don’t think that’s particularly
important.

(I don't like to nitpick on the author identification, but wouldn’t
<cite class="auteur" lang="jp-Latn">Shōnagon, Sei</cite> be better?)

> My favorite issue being when there is a mix of cite in the prose and blockquotes,
 > there is no mechanism to associate the right cite with the right
blockquote

It would be nice to be able to associate credits with quotations at the
markup level, but in practice, presenting credits visibly (or audibly or
touchably) is much more important. No law requires us to provide credits
that way, but laws do require us to provide credits the way they are
normally provided in good style (or in a better way).

--
Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/