[whatwg] The blockquote element spec vs common quoting practices

Kevin Marks kevinmarks at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:59:02 PDT 2011

There is another common pattern, seen in blogging a lot, of putting
the citation at the top eg
As <cite class="vcard"><a href="http://www.gyford.com/phil/"
class="url" rel="acquaintance met colleague"><abbr title="Phil Gyford"
href="http://www.gyford.com/phil/writing/2009/04/28/geocities.php">ugly
and neglected fragments</a> of Geocities:</p>

will be sorely missed. It’s not only a fine example of the amateur web
vernacular but much of it is an increasingly rare example of a
<em>period</em> web vernacular. GeoCities sites show what normal,
non-designer, people will create if given the tools available around
the turn of the millennium.</p>

(from jeremy) or pretty much any post here:

http://www.theatlantic.com/ta-nehisi-coates/

Would a <header> pattern in the blockquote work for this?

If I was writing a detector for this pattern, <a> followed by a colon
and  <blockquote> would do it pretty reliably...