[whatwg] a rel=attachment

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Sun Jul 17 13:50:23 PDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 17, 2011 at 12:41 PM, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Þann fös 15.júl 2011 18:39, skrifaði Jonas Sicking:
>>
>> 2011/7/14 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ)<ifette at google.com>:
>> One concern which was brought up was the ability to cause the user to
>> download a file from a third party site. I.e. this would allow
>> evil.com to trick the user into downloading an email from the users
>> webmail, or download a page from their bank which contains all their
>> banking information. It might be easier to then trick the user into
>> re-uploading the saved file to evil.com since from a user's
>> perspective, it looked like the file came from evil.com
>>
> Would it not be possible to send an unauthenticated request for the
> file, if it's of different origin?

That only solves part of the problem since if the file is located on a
private intranet behind a firewall, even unauthenticated requests can
return sensitive data.

Additionally, I strongly suspect people will want to be able to
download authenticated data cross site.

/ Jonas