[whatwg] namespaces in html5

David Karger karger at mit.edu
Mon Jul 18 07:33:47 PDT 2011

Yes, we could,  but it doesn't address the two objections I raised to
data- prefix:
1.  it isn't actually a data attribute, so prefixing with data seems
odd (appearance; minor)
2.  there's no way to guarantee someone else won't use the same
data-exhibit prefix, causing incompatibilities (functionality; major)

On Monday, July 18, 2011 5:28:44 PM, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2011 16:22:42 +0200, David Karger <karger at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Another approach would be to use the catchall html5 data- prefix for
>> attributes. We could certainly prefix all of our specialized
>> attributes with the data- prefix, which would turn those attributes
>> valid for html. This solution is unsatisfactory for two reasons. The
>> first is that our attributes are not data attributes----we are not
>> using microformat-oriented data attributes; rather, we are using
>> attributes that describe visualizations. data- seems a poor choice of
>> prefix. The second problem that concer
ns me is attribute collisions.