[whatwg] Placeholder visibility on focus

Thomas Maas thomas at webtypes.com
Tue Jul 19 03:55:38 PDT 2011

Agreed,

instead of checking for an empty string *and* focus the user agent should just check for an empty string.

current spec:
when the element's value is the empty string and the control is not focused (e.g. by displaying it inside a blank unfocused control)

proposed spec:
when the element's value is the empty string (e.g. by displaying it inside a blank control)

Motivations:

1) autofocus + placeholder is useless in current spec
2) a placeholder is supposed to give a hint. It's not logical to hide the hint before you actually add content. As the act of adding content probably means you understood the hint, not the act of focussing.

- Thomas Maas

--
Webtypes
Thomas Maas