[whatwg] Why deflate-stream is required to be enabled by the WebSocket API?

Bjoern Hoehrmann derhoermi at gmx.net
Wed Jul 20 17:38:57 PDT 2011

* Adam Barth wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 4:56 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net> wrote:
>> There is draft-tyoshino-hybi-websocket-perframe-deflate for that. It's
>> not a solution to the problem Takeshi Yoshino raised though, which is
>> about whether Websocket API conformance should impose restrictions on
>> which Websocket extensions must and must not be supported, as far as I
>> understand it anyway.
>
>It seems pretty clear that the API specify whatever profile of the
>protocol we choose.  We do the same thing with HTTP (e.g., with the
>XMLHttpRequest API).

HTTP allows you to send messages with `Transfer-Encoding: gzip,chunked`.
Opera supports that in responses, most other browsers do not. The XML-
HttpRequest specification takes no position on that, you can conform to
it whether the XMLHttpRequest implementation supports that or not. The
browsers do agree on supporting `Content-Encoding: gzip`, but again the
XMLHttpRequest specification does not require or prohibit supporting it.