[whatwg] [editing] Caret Position Access Methods

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jul 29 09:47:08 PDT 2011

On Fri, 29 Jul 2011, Dan Gisolfi wrote:
> Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote on 07/29/2011 12:28:15 PM:
> > >
> > > An example scenario for such a requirement (addition of such
> > > methods) would be the following: When developing an cooperative web
> > > enabled rich-text-editor, whereby multiple simultaneous users can
> > > co-author shared content, the editor must be able to allow each
> > > participant to get/set caret/cursor position in order to reflect the
> > > multiple positions of each active author in a cooperative web
> > > session.
> >
> > Surely all but the local one would not be real carets?
>
> Not sure what you mean by "real caret"

By "real caret" I mean a caret that supports all the complexity of the
system caret: relationship to the system selection, being movable by the
user, effect on execCommand() APIs, effect on local system focus, etc.

> but the scenario implies that each co-authoring conference(session)
> participant would have a corresponding cursor (caret) position depicting
> their associated reference point for edits.

I don't think those are system carets. Why wouldn't using a <span> element
be sufficient for this?