[whatwg] WebVTT feedback (was Re: Video feedback)

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Jun 6 00:30:17 PDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 11:05 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com>wrote:

> If we introduced the scrolling behaviour that I described above where
> cues that are rendered into the same location as a previous still
> active cue push that previous cue up, we get this behaviour covered
> too.

I don't think so.  This is a scene with two simultaneous conversations; in
order to help make the subtitles readable, they were authored to keep one
conversation pair always on top, and the other always on the bottom.  Having
captions move while they're already displayed wouldn't do this.  (I think
it'd make it unreadable, actually, by adding motion into the mix.)

Eventually, we will want to get rid of the legacy format and just
> deliver WebVTT, but they still need to display as though they came
> from the original broadcast caption format for contractual reasons.

I don't know what degree of sameness they expect, but as users can always
override their font (implying different wrapping results, etc.), you'll
never be able to guarantee that it'll look identical to the output of a more
fixed format.  If captions have editing like the above, it could even result
in a visible drop in quality.

--
Glenn Maynard