[whatwg] WebVTT feedback (was Re: Video feedback)

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 03:20:22 PDT 2011

On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com> wrote:
> [...]
>>> U+76F2.)
>>
>> I'm using GMAIL, so if there is anything wrong, you'll have to report
>> it to Google. ;-)
>> Checking back, I actually received your name in Ian's email with that
>> funny encoding. I'm not sure it's gmail's fault for interpreting it in
>> this way or whether there was some information in email headers lost
>> during delivery or what else.

>>> This seems to have been Ian's assumption, but it's not what the spec
>>> says.
>>> Follow the steps in
>>>
>>> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-iframe-element.html#parsing-0
>>>
>>> 32. If line contains the three-character substring "-->" (U+002D
>>> HYPHEN-MINUS, U+002D HYPHEN-MINUS, U+003E GREATER-THAN SIGN), then jump
>>> the step labeled timings below.
>>>
>>> 40. Timings: Collect WebVTT cue timings and settings from line, using cue
>>> for the results. If that fails, jump to the step labeled bad cue.
>>>
>>> 54. Bad cue: Discard cue.
>>>
>>> (Followed by a loop to skip until the next empty line.)
>>>
>>> The effect is that that any line containing "-->" that is not a timing
>>> line
>>> causes everything up to the next newline to be ignored.
>>

>> Yes, that's what I expect. Therefore we can create such cues in the
>> file format right now and the browsers as they currently work will
>> ignore such content. In future, they can be extended to actually do
>> something sensible with it. Isn't that what "is currently ignored"
>> means? It doesn't break the parser - the parser just skips over it. Am
>> I missing something?
>
> OK, I guess we're talking about slightly different things. It is possible to
> add a syntax to comment out entire cues using something with "-->", so if
> that's all we want, that's fine.

>>> It's not needed for the rendering of French vs English, is it? It is
>>> theoretically useful for CJK, but as I've said before it seems to be more
>>> common to transliterate the foreign script in these cases.
>>
>> I think it is needed. Think about a screen reader reading out that
>> text. Unless the screen reader knows which language model to load -
>> and that it now has to change from a French voicing to an English
>> voicing - it cannot present it accurately.
>>
>> Language markers are not just a matter of choosing the right character
>> encoding, but also the right TTS model.

>>> When would one want these descriptions to be multi-language?
>>
>> When they are describing something that is inherently multi-cultural.
>> For example, the name of a restaurant which is in French, while the
>> describer language is English.
>
> Does this kind of thing currently work with screen readers? Non-French
> people speaking English don't switch to proper French pronunciation when
> saying something like "I'm really into film noir" or "The general assumed
> political power through a coup d'etat", so screen reader users actually want
> what? If one doesn't know French, it seems like it would be harder to

I can only go by the feedback that I got from Janina and she said she
is thoroughly upset that screen readers are given text without
language markers and can only read them in one language rather than
with the correct pronunciation of the right language.

Of course, if an author doesn't want to change the language model,
they would not add a <lang> tag around the text. But if they want to
change the language model, there is currently no way to do so.

> For languages further removed from English I'm fairly certain no English
> speaker would want to hear the original pronunciation. Imagine pronouncing
> "Mexico" in Spanish or "Beijing" in Mandarin Chinese in the middle of an
> English text... I'm certain it would confuse people more than help them
> understand.

It really depends. I'd rather give the author the option. Right now
they have no choice.

Regards,
Silvia.