[whatwg] Interpretation issue: can <section> be used for "extended paragraphs"?

Markus Ernst derernst at gmx.ch
Wed Jun 15 01:42:06 PDT 2011

Am 15.06.2011 09:09 schrieb Jukka K. Korpela:

 > the list) or a longer presentation.
 > <ul>
 > <li>an item</li>
 > <li>another item</li>
 > </ul>
 > of the topic.</p>
 >
 > * * *
 >
 > I know this suggestion is long and raw, but I hope its basic content
 > is something we can agree on. And I have no big problem with using
 > div markup here, even though it somewhat goes against the spirit of
 > modern HTML.

This results in:

<ul>
   <li>Cheddar</li>,
   <li>Stilton</li>, and
   <li>Red Lester</li>,
</ul>
<ul>
   <li>wheat crackers</li>,
   <li>rye crackers</li>,
   <li>digestives</li>,
</ul>

I don't like this, because it is a hackish workaround for a quite basic
problem. Lots of HTML is actually authored by non-programmers using
online rich text editors - both the editor softwares and their users
will be quite hard to teach about using such constructs. I strongly
assume that the following kind of solution is more likely to occur:

<ul style="margin:0">
   <li>Cheddar</li>,
   <li>Stilton</li>, and
   <li>Red Lester</li>,
</ul>
<ul style="margin:0">
   <li>wheat crackers</li>,
   <li>rye crackers</li>,
   <li>digestives</li>,
</ul>

The main issue here is the fact that you can't just apply styling to the
list element, but have to apply it to the surrounding <p>s, too. Inline
lists would make this kind of things definitely easier and better.

Of course I understand the benefit of not requiring any changes to HTML,
but actually the HTML5 process is about making changes to HTML. I don't
have a big problem with using this kind of markup either, but the same