[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Thu Jun 16 10:41:04 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 10:20 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM, Ryosuke Niwa <rniwa at webkit.org> wrote:
> > It seems like maintaining the semantics of 'character' and 'line' is the
> way
> > to go then.  i.e. modify('move', 'right', character') moves caret
> visually
> > downwards and modify('move', 'right', 'line') moves caret visually to the
> > left (to the next line) in LTR text in a block with writing-mode:
> > vertical-rl.
>
> If it's helpful, the CSS Writing Modes spec defines the "line-left"
> and "line-right" directions, which react properly to vertical writing
> modes.  You may be able to reference/copy the definitions there.

Right.  Using that terminology, we have the following mapping between
getSelection().modify() direction/granularity and CSS3 terminology.

DirectionGranularityCSS3 terminology backwardcharacterendlineoverleftline
characterline left rightcharacterline rightlineunderforwardlinecharacter
start

- Ryosuke