[whatwg] Hashing Passwords Client-side

Sean Connelly sean at pbwhere.com
Fri Jun 17 11:48:55 PDT 2011

Thank you for your input.  I had forgotten about the <input type="image">
fields.

Yes, as these issues have been brought up, I've also imagined additional
disadvantages as well.  For documentation purposes, here are some additional
items to consider if this topic comes up again:

1. I'm not clear how a server-side framework could automatically apply
hashes to password fields from legacy browsers.  The framework would not be
able to identify which form values were password fields (and therefore,
which ones it would need to hash).

2. Some use cases for password fields are simply to mask what the user is
typing, and SHOULDN'T be hashed.  For example, I have seen
financial/government sites that mask SSN input through a password field.
 Their intention is never to hash the value.

3. As Mat brought up, I think it is reasonable to imagine webmasters who
think client-side hashing is good enough.  This can give them a false sense
of security.

Ultimately, I think my next step is to develop a JavaScript library that
implements the behavior (by perhaps injecting ".hash" form values).  This
can help me to figure out the details in private, and see if this is
worthwhile to include in the HTML standard.  I may return to WHATWG in the
future with my results if I feel there is a tangible benefit.

Thanks again for everyone who contributed to help me think through this
problem.

~Sean