[whatwg] Video feedback

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 08:28:19 PDT 2011

On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Mark Watson <watsonm at netflix.com> wrote:

>>> Are we talking about the same thing ? There is no TrackList array and
>>> TrackList is only used for audio/video, not text, so I don't understand the
>>> comment about cues.
>>> I'm talking
>>> about http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/the-iframe-element.html#tracklist which
>>> is the base class for MultipleTrackList and ExclusiveTrackList used to
>>> represent all the audio and video tracks (respectively). One instance of the
>>> object represents all the tracks, so I would assume that a change in the
>>> number of tracks is a change to this object.
>>
>> Ah yes, you're right: I got confused.
>>
>> It says "Whenever the selected track is changed, the user agent must
>> queue a task to fire a simple event named change at the
>> MultipleTrackList object." This means it fires when the selectedIndex
>> is changed, i.e. the user chooses a different track for rendering. I
>> still don't think it relates to changes in the composition of tracks
>> of a resource. That should be something different and should probably
>> be on the MediaElement and not on the track list to also cover changes
>> in text tracks.
>
> Fair enough.

>>> I think of the different adaptive versions on a per-track basis (i.e. the
>>> alternatives are *within* each track), not a bunch of alternatives each of
>>> which contains several tracks. Both are possible, of course.
>>>
>>> It's certainly possible (indeed common) for different bitrate video
>>> encodings to have different resolutions - there are video encoding reasons
>>> to do this. Of course the aspect ratio should not change and nor should the
>>> dimensions on the screen (both would be a little peculiar for the user).
>>>
>>> Now, the videoWidth and videoHeight attributes of HTMLVideoElement are not
>>> the same as the resolution (for a start, they are in CSS pixels, which are
>>> square), but I think it quite likely that if the resolution of the video
>>> changes than the videoWidth and videoHeight might change. I'd be interested
>>> to hear how existing implementations relate resolution to videoWidth and
>>> videoHeight.
>>
>> Well, if videoWidth and videoHeight change and no dimensions on the
>> video are provided through CSS, then surely the video will change size
>> and the display will shrink. That would be a terrible user experience.
>> For that reason I would suggest that such a change not be made in
>> alternative adaptive streams.
>
> That seems backwards to me! I would say "For that reason I would suggest that dimensions are provided through CSS or through the width and height attributes."
>
> Alternatively, we change the specification of the video element to accommodate this aspect of adaptive streaming (for example, the videoWidth and videoHeight could be defined to be based on the highest resolution bitrate being considered.)

> [...]

Note that this is not what I suggested. I just believe we cab use both
approaches: Media Queries and adaptive streams. With media queries we
can more easily pre-select the first stream that is picked to be more
appropriate for the device that is being used, and we can make more
appropriate alternative streams. For example, if we use markup as
follows:

<video controls>
  <source src="manifest1_ogv" media="min-device-height:720px" type="video/ogg">
  <source src="manifest2_ogv" media="max-device-height:720px" type="video/ogg">
  <source src="manifest1_mp4" media="min-device-height:720px" type="video/mp4">
  <source src="manifest2_mp4" media="max-device-height:720px" type="video/mp4">
</video>

then we can have Ogg Theora or MP4 videos of different bandwidth and
screen size in manifest1 to manifest2 and the device will itself
decide which of the two first its screen height and then stick with
the streams in that manifest. If a group of files are from the start
excluded from being useful for a particular device because they are
unfit, it will make the switching much faster, so this is a good
thing.

Cheers,
Silvia.