[whatwg] Basic defense at the client against common XSS attack types

Jacques Jongerden jacques_jongerden at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 20 11:40:43 PDT 2011

Thanks for the clarification; had completely overlooked the @srcdoc attribute, but just read up on it and it seems like a far better solution to the whole issue.

Cheers,

Jacques

-----Original Message-----
From: Tab Atkins Jr. [jackalmage at gmail.com]

This is already handled in HTML by sandboxed iframes.  The @seamless and @srcdoc attributes make the use of iframes less painful.  Your page would look like:

<!doctype html>
<head>
  <title>Some page that includes user input</title>
  <link rel="stylesheet" href="css/style.css">
  <script src="js/script.js"></script>
</head>
       <iframe sandbox seamless srcdoc="[user input here, with quotes and ampersands escaped]"></iframe>
     <script type="text/javascript">
        /* This script is executed though, because the element is not
           inside of a restricted execution area. */
     </script>

If you would like some context about why this solution was eventually chosen, and why approaches like what you outline were rejected, search the mailing list archives for the word "sandbox".

~TJ