[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Mon Jun 27 14:30:38 PDT 2011

FYI, I also posted this question on public-html-ig-jp at w3.org, and I got
exactly one response from Koji, who was supportive of my proposal.

Given that, I'm inclined to say that the consensus is to modify('move',
'left'/'right', 'character') should move the caret in the direction of
line-left and line-right and modify('move', 'left'/'right', 'line') should
move the caret in the block direction (left for backward direction and right
for forward direction).  As Koji mentioned, it matches native-speaker's
intuition and it matches the concept of left/right in text-align property.

- Ryosuke