[whatwg] getSelection().modify() in vertical writing modes

Alexey Proskuryakov ap at webkit.org
Mon Jun 27 14:50:05 PDT 2011

27.06.2011, в 14:42, Ryosuke Niwa написал(а):

> I do not think that we should ignore people who are not native speakers and are writing JavaScript code that works with vertical text. For most people, left is left, and up is up. There is no reason to make it more complicated than it is already.
>
> Right. But if we changed the semantics of modify('extend', 'right', 'character') to move between lines, then code that tries to select the first character after the caret will fail.  They have to explicitly detect the writing mode and change the script.

Is there is a significant amount of HTML editing JavaScript code that would just work with vertical text if not for this one detail? In that case, it might be appropriate to utilize such tricks indeed.

Otherwise, asking authors to make the change from "right" to "forward" appears like a very appropriate thing to ask for, among other things necessary to support vertical text.

- WBR, Alexey Proskuryakov