[whatwg] Ongoing work on an editing commands (execCommand()) specification

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue Mar 1 14:11:03 PST 2011

Great to see some spec'ing work here.  Some issues with your document:

   - Styling a Range doesn't support styleWithCSS=false
   - Ignores possibility of JavaScript modifying DOM while your algorithm is
   running - This is actually consistent with TOT WebKit where dispatches of
   DOM mutation events are delayed until the editing command finishes its
   algorithm.
   - Unstyling a Range doesn't work for text decorations because overriding
   text-decoration property doesn't clear underline nor line-through.
   - Styling a Range / Unstyling a Range doesn't seem to split the range
   into segments of phrasing contents.  How does your algorithm avoid wrapping
   a non-phrasing element with a span? (e.g. we don't want to wrap div,
   blockquote, etc... with a span)

- Ryosuke