[whatwg] Canvas and drawWindow

Gregg Tavares (wrk) gman at google.com
Mon Mar 14 17:52:46 PDT 2011

Someone pointed out that once you have HTML5->Canvas->WebGL, even though you
can't call readPixels or toDataURL or getImageData because of cross origin
issues you can write a shader that takes longer depending on the color and
then just time draw calls to figure out what's in the texture.

In other words, if you want to prevent security issues you could only do
this on same origin content.

But then you open another can of worms. Once you can put content in a
texture you want to be able to let the user interact with it (like they can
with 3d css) but then you run into the issue that you don't know what the
user's shaders are doing so you have to let JavaScript translate mouse
coordinates which is probably another security issue on top of being a PITA
to implement.