[whatwg] wrapper element

Jordan Dobson jordandobson at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 14:50:38 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Markus Ernst <derernst at gmx.ch> wrote:

> Am 28.02.2011 19:56 schrieb Tab Atkins Jr.:
>

>> I believe you're arguing that the "wrapper" semantic, being similarly
>> ubiquitous, thus needs its own new element as well.  What you're
>> missing is that the "wrapper" semantic is precisely what<div>  already
>> expresses.
>>

> I do understand usuario's <wrapper> proposal slightly different from <div>:
> Section 4.5.13 of the spec generally states that the <div> element is
> conveying structure, but not semantics.
>
> Usuario's <wrapper> is not structural, but purely presentational. It should
> actually not be there at all from an HTML point of view, but is necessary
> for CSS reasons.

Isn't that what the section::outside{ ... } is for? Presentational pseudo
elements in CSS?

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-content/#wrapping

Granted it's not available as far as I know... but it seems like it meets
usario's needs.

- Jordan

--
Jordan Dobson • Designer / Developer • 425-444-8014 •
About.Me/JordanDobson<http://about.me/jordandobson>