[whatwg] Giving the <body> tag a new meaning.

usuario soyhobo at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:57:17 PST 2011

> You are too much married to the traditional notion of the "body of a
> document" as known from paper. The meaning of "body" is here more akin
> to the meaning of the "body content of an (e)mail". Everything that's
> the main content of a Web page is "body". It may not be the most
> appropriate word for the kinds of Web pages you have in mind, but
> "content" may not be more appropriate as an element name either. I've
> long since decided that the exact meaning of a word differs based on
> context and trying to it's easier to adapt your perception that to
> adapt the world. In the Web context "body" is just what it is: the
> body of a Web page (technical semantics), not the body of the content
> of a Web page (content semantics). You could always reverse your
> argument and try to introduce a <content> element between <header> and
> <footer> (though: <div> does pretty well for this). But really, there
> are more important things to get right IMHO.

The same way we all are married with traditional sense of body, and see no
reason to change it. If it do the work, why to run the risk?.
<offtopic>The same way with keep the doctype declaration that being mostly
useless is required to not to 'trigger' quirks mode, we're suffering a past
ghost.</offtopic>