[whatwg] Idea for having InputXML Or ClickXML for HTML5+

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 15:58:49 PST 2011

On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 1:05 AM, Narendra Sisodiya
<narendra at narendrasisodiya.com> wrote:
> We can record mouse and keyboard activity in xml. There are many events
> which are resolution independent.
> for example mouse clicks, button press events . Now suppose you are dealing
> with some animation or game or just a slideshow. what you do ? you type some
> buttons from mouse or keyboard. Now if you can record the timeline of these
> events then we can play back at anytime.
> The idea is very interesting for having automated slideshows ..

Do you mean that a web page should actually be able to actually
control the user's mouse and keyboard?  That's clearly not acceptable
for security.  What if the web page types:

<Ctrl-T><Ctrl-L>http://www.evil.com/download-virus<Enter><Enter><Enter>

to go to a URL and skip any warnings about, e.g., installing untrusted
plugins?  Even if you limit it to synthesizing clicks that only take
effect within the invoking webpage, you'd probably still run into
security issues with cross-site content (clickjacking on steroids).

What exactly do you mean by an "automated slideshow"?  How would this
feature help with that?