[whatwg] Revising the content handling logic of <object> and <embed>

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Mar 7 12:39:52 PST 2011

On 3/7/11 3:11 PM, Michal Zalewski wrote:
> In my opinion, the preferred outcome would be to make type=
> authoritative when specified, or provide an alternative way of
> ensuring specific routing of the retrieved content on markup level.

For what it's worth, I would be _very_ much in favor of having a way for
markup to specify "render this <object> only if the Content-Type matches
this type" (e.g. a boolean "forceStrictTypeMatch" attribute or whatever).

I don't think we could get away with making this the default behavior,
but I do think it should be possible.

I don't think we should make it possible for the site embedding the
<object> to completely override how the server wants it handled, though
(even the limited amount of overriding we have now makes me pretty unhappy).

-Boris