[whatwg] Canvas and drawWindow

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Mon Mar 14 20:05:14 PDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 5:56 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think we should be closing the <svg>/<foreignObject> hole, not
> expanding it as the primary way to smuggle in drawWindow
> functionality.  ^_^

I actually think svg image + foreignobject is an OK way to smuggle in the
functionality of rendering HTML fragments to a canvas :-). In Gecko, to
solve various security problems we've made SVG images be a very restrictive
browsing context, which can't for example load any subresource other than
data: URIs. The elements of an SVG image also can't receive input events.
Those measures alone neutralize a lot of the problems with drawWindow.
Unlike IFRAMEs, pages can't reach into the DOM of SVG images to get around
those restrictions. We can make SVG image documents never honor :visited
selectors.

Rob