[whatwg] Rich Paste & DataTransfer / DataTransferItems API

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Mon Mar 14 20:14:42 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 14, 2011 at 10:47 PM, Daniel Cheng <dcheng at chromium.org> wrote:
> Is there an alternate bitmap format that's likely to be widely supported
> across different browsers? I picked PNG since if the compression proves to
> be expensive, we can simply try less hard to compress the data (at the
> extreme end, we don't compress it at all and it basically just becomes a
> bitmap container).

Yeah, but if the user can't say whether the user wants compressed data
or not, just tweaking the compression level is always going to be bad
for one use case (canvas) or the other (uploads).

Using PNG even for uncompressed data does sound better than BMP.
Alpha channel, 16bpp color, color management, etc. can all still
apply.

--
Glenn Maynard