[whatwg] <device> use cases

Lachlan Hunt lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au
Tue Mar 15 08:27:31 PDT 2011

On 2011-03-15 14:10, jesperg at opera.com wrote:
> I just heard that <device> was canceled and replaced by
> navigator.getUserMedia()... Just wanted to point out a couple of use
> cases that I was looking forward to, that seems to maybe have gotten a
> bit lost on the way?
>
> I was really looking forward to start playing around with USB MIDI
> interfaces to control my synth and maybe even do really creative stuff
> the other way around. Just imagine being able to play on your synth
> (or any other device with MIDI output) and generate sound or graphics
> in a <canvas> web application or so!

It may be possible to address these use cases using an API based
approach in the future, which will be better than the element based
approach of <device>, but at this stage it is better to keep things
simple and focus on just audio and video for now.

--
Lachlan Hunt - Opera Software
http://lachy.id.au/