[whatwg] Stream API Feedback

Robert O'Callahan robert at ocallahan.org
Wed Mar 16 20:22:21 PDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 4:36 AM, Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt at lachy.id.au>wrote:

> I'm not entirely sure I understand your proposal, but are you suggesting
> that the input streams from the camera/microphone would first go to <video>
> and <audio> elements, allowing the existing HTMLMediaElement API on those
> elements to be used to control those streams, the output of which can then
> be encoded and recorded to a file or streamed remotely?

Yes.

In fact, of all the properties that are on HTMLMediaElement, the only ones
> that seem to have any real use for streaming media are volume, muted, paused
> and ended.  So I'm not convinced that it's a good idea to try and reuse
> existing APIs simple for the sake of reusing them, when they aren't really a
> good fit.

As Olli said, <video> and <audio> are designed to support streaming media;
streaming over a low-latency network is very much like streaming from a
local device.

In Gecko, we allow seeking within cached segements of streamed video, and we
could easily allow that for local devices too --- user-controlled "instant
replay".

So for an HTML video element, the following attributes could all make sense
for streaming from local devices, IMHO:
-- videoWidth/videoHeight
-- width/height (reflected to CSS)
-- poster (to show a placeholder before camera input becomes available)
-- controls (in-page controls for mute, start/stop)
-- src
-- readyState
-- currentTime (read and write)
-- paused
-- ended (the user turned off the camera)
-- duration
-- volume
-- seeking
-- seekable
-- buffered
-- played

But that's not particularly useful for the audio element. It's rare that the
> user would want their microphone input to be echoed back to them via an
> audio element. In most cases, when a microphone stream is input into an
> audio element, the audio element itself would need to be muted to prevent
> unwanted and annoying echo or, worse, feedback loops.

Yes, direct audio output would have to be muted. This could be done
automatically when input is coming directly from a local device. (Assuming
that using your Web browser as a megaphone is not a valid use-case :-).)

That would only be useful if the audio data were being analysed and output,
> for example, to an audio spectrum visualisation (like with Mozilla's
> experimental audio data API).

Not just analysis, but also processing. For example, XBox Live lets you
distort your audio input in voice chat.

Rob