[whatwg] Proposal for @label attribute associated with kind=metadata TimedTextTracks

Eric Winkelman E.Winkelman at cablelabs.com
Tue Mar 22 09:40:37 PDT 2011

I'm not proposing adding anything to out-of-band <track kind=metadata> elements.  In-band metadata tracks are added to the DOM by the media player, and have the same @label attribute that out-of-band tracks do.  I'm suggesting a use for that @label attribute that solves a problem I've encounter using metadata tracks.

> I'm not familiar enough with in-band metadata tracks to know if it would be
> useful to expose additional information about them, but for out-of-band
> tracks I suspect that any information you may need is application-specific,
> and thus can be served with a data-* attribute.

I agree, there are a number of solutions for out-of-band metadata tracks, but  my concern is specifically in-band metadata tracks.

If an in-band kind=metadata track appears, what kind of information does it contain?  Can you tell by looking at the DOM?  Can you tell by looking at the cue's text?

Eric