[whatwg] PeerConnection: encryption feedback

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 23 17:22:34 PDT 2011

On 03/24/11 01:13, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 3/23/2011 3:17 PM, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
>> Is there really an advantage to not using SRTP and reusing the RTP
>> format for the data messages?
>
> I'd go one further... why not DTLS-SRTP for the media and DTLS with
> some other header shim for the data messages?
RFC 5764?

I think that's a discussion we need to have in the IETF RTCWEB
WG-in-formation, though. Will you be in the BOF on Tuesday?

The biggest counterargument I could see coming is that it's going to be
signficantly harder to make it interoperate with existing SRTP
deployments that negotiate keys over the signalling channel.