[whatwg] Constraint validation feedback (various threads)

Koji Ishii kojiishi at gluesoft.co.jp
Thu Mar 24 21:24:21 PDT 2011

Thank you for the reply.

> Anyway, do you have any concern about the behaviors of the current browsers?

No, not as of now particularly. Neither I know how UAs are going to implement "require that authors not let authors enter values longer than the maxlength" behavior, sorry for the ignorance.

I just worried since I saw some applications in the past that don't allow users to enter values longer than the maxlength, and some of them were unusable with CJK input methods.

If you're going to change the definition to "not to allow entering values longer than the maxlength," I wish it be clearly defined with international environment in mind where text may be shorten as user types, and therefore they must allow longer values than maxlength during the undetermined state.

Transition from undetermined to determined could be kicked by several criteria and it's hard to control, so my gut feeling is that "not allowing entering longer values than maxlength" tends to result poor in CJK,  but I'm fine as long as it was designed such conditions in mind.

Regards,
Koji