[whatwg] Low Memory Event

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon May 2 16:05:25 PDT 2011

On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Charles Pritchard wrote:

> Web Applications may have wildly different use cases than hypertext
> documents.

FWIW, I prefer to consider the Web as a wide spectrum from "document" to
"application", with pages falling along this spectrum, rather than seeing
the two as being separate.

> The issue at hand is attempting, in some part, to send a signal to the
> DOM that a low memory condition exists. This may not happen, but it
> certainly has strong use cases in web apps.

This is a hardware limitation condition. In general, I think it is unwise
to specify how browsers are to handle these conditions, because in
constrained situations UAs are much less able to control how they act. For
example, on many platforms, when a UA runs out of memory it'll just be
killed outright.

However, more importantly, for new features it's better to start with
experimental implementations. I recommend following the steps in the FAQ
entry for adding new features:

   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/FAQ#Is_there_a_process_for_adding_new_features_to_a_specification.3F