[whatwg] Applications and document titles

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri May 13 12:47:01 PDT 2011

On Sun, 13 Feb 2011, Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> The initial application page might be e.g. "Inbox - Fancy Pants Mail"
> but the application name would still be "Fancy Pants Mail". It's useful
> for these to be separate fields. I don't think <meta name=title> is
> valid by the way.

Right.

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:

> If that's the case, then why can't this be used for brand names in
> general? It's not hard to imagine a collection of documents, that's not
> defined as an "application", to share brand for marketing reasons. Why
> make the distinction between "applications" and other documents?

There's no distinction, it's all one big continuum. We name things
typically based on what the main use case was for, but there's nothing to
stop you from using it for other things. For example, the "Application
Cache" feature is used on developers.whatwg.org, which is more "document"
than "application".