[whatwg] self-closing tags in html5

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Tue May 3 05:01:37 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-03 00:47, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Kornel Lesi�~Dski wrote:
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010 07:18:52 -0000, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch>  wrote:
>>> For example, markup such as the following is sadly common:

>>> I have therefore not changed the spec in response to this request.
>>
> On Fri, 31 Dec 2010, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
>> That just makes the HTML syntax even more complicated and confusing. At
>> least at present it's consistent in this respect (although not in many
>> other respects).
> I'm kinda with Aryeh on this. I don't really see much value in adding yet
> another special case here. Consider how this will be in 30 years, once
> we've added another dozen elements: "Yes,<foo/>  is a closed element. No,

Yeah but something like <p/> hardly makes sense syntax wise, as it's
basically an empty paragraph.
I'm guessing that many are using <p/> or <p> with no closing equivalent

Is there a need for say a <pbr> ? (short for paragraph break) default
behavior being the same as two <br>.

Then again getting folks to change would be hard, so maybe a <cp> and
</cp> would make more sense. (closed paragraph)

Myself I always tend to use <br><br> for readability when I don't feel
like the text should be split into different paragraphs.
And I use <p> and </p> for it's intended purpose, to markup actual
paragraphs.

ignored, I'd be happy to move to using say <cp> and </cp> for paragraphs.

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://www.EmSai.net/