[whatwg] Small consistency issue with HTML5 nav element examples

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Wed May 4 15:40:10 PDT 2011

>> IMO browsers should implement <link>. <link> should be implementable
>> cross-browser in CSS.
>
> Unfortunately, what we want and what we get don't always match. :-)

I'll be a dick and quote your sig:
On a more serious note, implementing <link> can't be that hard. I'll
probably patch my UA myself when I get the graphics layer working on
my system (or just use links2). But I'm slowly coming to the
conclusion that <a> should be used for creating hyperlinks that seem
to belong to head, in a tree of html>body>aside>a, for compatibility
with mainstream UAs.

>> My actual concern regard navigation links not forming a part of the
>> linear body of the document, but still being in <body>. Navigation links
>> will most likely be rendered "out of band," potentially only on demand
>> and paged/scrolled seperately from the body, or at the end of the
>> document in one dimensional renderings (such as audio and text streams).
>> They might even be triggered without being rendered at all, such as by
>> scrolling out of range of the current document.
>
> It seems most authors desire far more control over their navigation links.
> On many pages, it's almost as if the navigation links are more important
> to the authors than the content, at least when you look at the amount
> of effort put into them...

Sadly, the things authors desire may conflict with the things users
desire. I also desire control over navigation links (among many other
things). From authors, I desire only content.

Bjartur Thorlacius
   yet another End-User(tm)