[whatwg] Media elements statistics

Jeroen Wijering jeroen at longtailvideo.com
Thu May 5 02:54:07 PDT 2011

Hey Steve,

This looks great; would be a really useful set of data for video players / publishers. Since none of the metrics have a time component, developers can sample the data over the window / at the frequency they prefer.

Would jitter be calculated over decodedFrames or decodedFrames+droppedFrames? In the first case, jitter is a more granular metric for measuring exact presentation performance. In the latter case, jitter can serve as a single metric for tracking processing power (simple!). In either case, it's fairly straightforward to calculate towards the other metric.

Resetting the values when @src changes is a good idea. Changing @src is much used for advertising and playlist support (it works around iOS not supporting the play() call).

Kind regards,

Jeroen Wijering