[whatwg] Proposal for a web application descriptor

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Thu May 5 23:19:02 PDT 2011

On Thu, 05 May 2011 21:41:24 +0200, Bjartur Thorlacius
<svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/5/11, Charles McCathieNevile <chaals at opera.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 05 May 2011 00:12:06 +0200, Bjartur Thorlacius
>> <svartman95 at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yeah, if a single entity edits and signs multiple resources, it's
>>> unreasonable to trust one but not another.
>>
>> If I understand correctly, I disagree. I might trust a given entity
>> sometimes, or with some kinds of information, without wanting to simply
>> say "sure whatever you want". That's probably for the "hard-to-use mode"
>> in the UI, but I think it's legitimate. In practice, even given
>> something
>> as simple as twitter's geolocation request I *sometimes* allow it to
>> know
>> where I am and sometimes don't.
>>
> In that case you wouldn't grant anyone a carte blanche access to your
> location, but authorize or forbid each request. I meant that users
> probably wouldn't want to permanently authorize http://twitter.com/A
> but not http://twitter.com/.
>
> Of course, if the site requests coordinates, it's up to the user
> whether they come from /dev/gps or /dev/tty (or /n/3D Globe).

Yeah, in principle. But given that most users aren't going to symlink
/dev/gps via their hand-crafted code to decide what to say (largely
because browsers just ask Google where you are instead based on visible
Wifi) in practice the question is how to build reasonable UI that the
users actually understand.

cheers

Chaals