[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Mounir Lamouri mounir.lamouri at gmail.com
Mon May 9 03:59:27 PDT 2011

On 05/05/2011 01:02 AM, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Tue, May 3, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Jonas Sicking<jonas at sicking.cc>  wrote:
>> The mozNoFilter attribute we added in Firefox 4.
>
> I don't see any use-case where you wouldn't want to use mozNoFilter.
> Why doesn't it just work that way always?

Basically, when you want to use the datalist to suggest a few things you
might not want to filter and when the list is long, you very likely want
to filter.

You might not want to filter when the list is a real set of suggestions
and you can type anything else. For example, a field in a support form
can ask you "What is your problem?" and you could type a brief summary
but some pre-written issues will be available. It's equivalent to a
select element followed by an input field that you can use if you select
"other" in the list.
As I see it, when you filter, you have a very long list and you very
likely want the user to select something in the list like a list of
bugzilla emails, a list o metro stations, etc. Writing anything not in
the list might not work.

--
Mounir