[whatwg] Selection events in editable content

Ryosuke Niwa rniwa at webkit.org
Tue May 10 10:49:23 PDT 2011

One implication of adding newSelection property is that this selection may
behave differently against DOM mutations at least in WebKit's
implementation.

Should newSelection be updated upon DOM mutations by scripts and user
actions in the same way frame's selection will be updated?  On one hand,
this will ensure that base and extent nodes offsets are resilient against
DOM mutations but will degrade the performance with O(n) where n is the
number of newSelection objects on the other hand.  Any opinions?

- Ryosuke