[whatwg] Full Screen API Feedback

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu May 12 00:04:41 PDT 2011

On 5/12/11 2:25 AM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Jer Noble<jer.noble at apple.com>  wrote:
>> And your geolocation example actually argues the other way: the existing
>> geolocation API includes an asynchronous error handler that is explicitly
>> called when a request is denied.  This would be a similar if not identical
>> use case.
>
> I don't necessarily agree with that part of the geolocation API :-).

One note here:  The denied handler for geolocation is not fired as often
as you might think.  For example, Firefox only fires it if you select
"never for this site".  If you select "not now" or just click the
notification away, or if you do nothing, of course, nothing is fired,
because the user has not actually made a decision (you can reopen the
notification and decide any time you want).

 > It's also pretty bad if some passive UI
> appears, the user ignores it, then later notices it and dismisses it, and
> the video suddenly fills the window!

The right solution _if_ one goes this way is for the dismissal to just
not notify the page at all, as in the geolocation behavior above.

I agree that it's a suboptimal behavior either way, though.  I prefer
your proposal of maximizing within the window and effectively asking the
user to maximize the window.

-Boris